Wednesday 30 September 2015

My brush with Toastmasters

Below are two speeches of mine – during the brief period I had become involved with Toastmasters recently.
  • First one is the prepared-speech CC1-Icebreaker speech ‘Introducing myself’.
  • Second one is the prepared-speech CC2- ‘Books Books Books’



CC1-Icebreaker speech ‘Introducing myself’



Text of speech

SPACE ….The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of starship 'myself'
My ongoing mission to seek strange new places and countries…… To understand new ways of being, cultures and civilizations. And to boldly go where my heart beckons me to flow !
I have borrowed a life’s framework from Dr. Kalam’s latest and unfortunately his last inspiration: ‘Ignited Minds’. Life is explained in four stages: A- Athlete, B- Brutal Warrior, C - Cool Big Brother & D - Dignified Self-Realised Stage.
Without further ado – let me jump into the A – Athlete stage:
A for Athlete – This is the stage of building and tuning and honing one’s toolkit of education – formal and informal, skills – on and off the job -  abilities for life’s sustenance. I am a Mechanical Engg, MBA-Finance & Systems, over 2 decades years of  excellence…experience in – Financial Services, Credit Rating & now IT industries.
At this stage where I might have well passed my halfway mark - I am still an athlete – am peaking on my running, skiing, and lets see how I am doing on this Public Speaking skills now.
It is my personal experience that these 4 ABCD stages are not watertight, firewalled independent compartments……..but rather are all freely mixing up all the time into a heady concoction that’s the spice of life !
So - with this Athlete well armored…….lets attack, assail onto the -
B, Bahubali, Brutal Warrior stage– Proving superiority over others with Ego as the driving force is the hallmark of this stage. Theme of this Stage is attainment of goals/achievements.
I think I had my share of this during my education and work life. Luckily for me – I had learnt early in my career from a wonderful senior colleague I had worked with who had so much drive that he would everyday end up taking the load of 5 people …and then would also end up doing the work of our boss so that the boss just needed to endorse his proposals at end of the day ! I realized that such hunger would naturally place one at the steering wheel…..anywhere the guys goes – heads turn to him.
C for Cool Big Brother  – Maturity of the achiever has tamed the ego by now – and one takes a benign view of the world and is now willing to help others get better giving them a helping hand.
Thanks to my colleague in the earlier stage – I have been able to have clear focus on the goals and so kept my head over the troubled waters of avoidable politics. While my present age – I think I would grow more and more into this calm big brother role..
D for The Dignified Self realized soul – Here one has realized one’s true essence. This planet belongs to all….and everyone has a share of rights and responsibilities to make it  a better place for living for all.
I had my share of trials and tribulations in discovering my purpose in life: to be a ‘spirit of positive action’. Knowledge helps in finding the true path and goals…..but without actions that will remain a dream. A single action is better than a million good intentions.  On the other hand a lifetime of action without any definite goals would lead one nowhere. So this goal of mine for positive i.e. goal-based action.

Now that we covered the ABCD of my life: back to BASE now….

Press the Special Button
While I am preening myself and singing paens on like this ……my three year old son is egging me on – DAD….Run fast………But I was totally tired since I am carrying him on my shoulders. But he is relent less and is prodding me to move on……and when I say I don’t have any more energy: he then lets me into his own trick which he uses in his races with his friends: press the special button daddy ! From then on in any runs I participate, or issues I am stuck in – when I feel I don’t have more energy: I take inspiration from my son and press the special button !
Such a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Ladies and Gentlemen – I present you this joy. This special button can be used by youo when you need energy so that : for the right cause, all the elements of nature come together, conspire to conjure up this conception giving you DIRECT access to the Boundless energy from all over the Universe !

May the Force be with you !


CC2- ‘Books...Books...Books’

Once upon a time….long ago…… I was young …..And foolish …………..Enough to
keep wondering about the worst things that can happen in life: for me this is life-time imprisonment ! Possibly this was due to an overdose of Dostovosky / Alexandre Dumas / Maupassant books whose rich and dark classics have this running theme of prison life.

Be as it may- here I am, imprisoned for life -  fed 2-3 times a day, edible food, good enough for me. Enforced daily physical labor – which is not a bad thing since it ensures that the body and muscles do not just waste away ! But most importantly – all the guards, the entire prison infrastructure will diligently work 24 / 7 to absolutely ensure one thing : MY SOLITUDE ! So that nothing…. Nothing…. will come between me and my book ! Wow….what a blessing ! My worst case scenario is indeed my best case scenario!

A book is of course a man’s best friend for life…. for women also: but a distant second after diamonds is what I understand ‘’as per popular opinion’’.

People shy away from talking about their weaknesses and I admit I have as many weaknesses as the number of great authors whose books I have read. And I pray for an opportunity to talk about any one of these weaknesses. Give me a PG Wodehouse and my knees give way and I am almost on the floor bursting and roaring and rolling with laughter at the EXTREMELY hilarious stuff that only Wodehouse can scoop up and dole out. May be it is the complete contrast between the elegance, elan, etiquette  and exquisite eloquence of Jeeves compared to the absolutely stunning stupidity of Bertram Wooster. And by the way as we get into the thick of things – we realize that we are no better than Wooster actually ! If Wodehouse is the epitome of subtle humour then

Action & Adventure
For Action and Adventure is there anything that comes even remotely close to Alistair Mclean ?  ‘Where Eagles Dare’ , ‘Guns of Navarone’ , ‘Fear is the Key’ , ‘Ice Station Zebra’  … Read any one of them and I promise you - you are hooked for life. 

Hook, Line, and Sinker.

Beeauty
The beauty of the thoughts and the divine stuff that comes out of Frederique Nietsche‘s ‘Thus Spake Zorathustra’ ……makes me overwhelmed and I cry with rapture and ecstasy so as to become the honey bee that is so overladen with honey that it cant move any further unless it lets go of some of the honey. So too must I let go of this sweet joy onto others before I can go on with my life !

Cosmos - 3
Cosmos, Space, Science-Fiction – No need to go further than the Gurus  ‘Isaac Asimov’ and ‘Carl Sagan’ who would easily teleport us 5000 years right into the future – into a distant binary star  system or into a Gargantuan Blackhole!
The ‘3 Rules of Robots design’ are now part of the Robotics sciences and also are part of our popular culture now thanks to the popular series Terminator, Robocop, and now i-Robot which is actually a book of Asimov in which a robot becomes ‘emotional’ ! So is the case of Jules Verne whose designs of submarines from his classic book ’20,000 Leagues under the Sea’ laid out the foundation for the actual design of submarines – and this includes the most visible contraption of a submarine: the periscope!

Dream world – Virtual Reality
In one of his brilliant pieces on future - Asimov discusses about a futuristic Virtual Reality machine. It is so advanced that it sends a chill down your spine as you enter a dark and deep cave, makes you almost smell the bats hovering around, and gives you the sensation of the creepy crawlers moving all around. After describing such features at length – Asimov tells us in the last para that this contraption is actually already available to us here and now. It is a well written book – and our mind is the most advanced  virtual reality machine possible ever when combined with a great author !

Edward De Bono
If logical thinking is your thing – then Edward De Bono’s books ‘6 Thinking Hats’, ‘Boiling Frog Syndrome’ etc are your sine-qua-nons.

Foreign Forever Travellers
And if you are a Nomad at heart and an eternal traveler like me – then yearly re-reads of ‘The English Patient’ are an absolute must. Travelogues of Paul Theroux are a delight: absolute nuggets of gold ! Takes on various cities of the globe by ‘The Global Soul’ Pico Iyer are real gems.
And if you have migrated for a decade or more and miss your home country / culture - then you need to report to the Supreme Commander of the migrant psyche : Sir VS Naipaul.

Galt….. Who is John Galt?’
The answer will unearth why the invincible ’Atlas Shrugged’ and open up the ‘Fountainhead’ to the philosophy of Ayn Rand.
The speeches of ''Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastián d'Anconia''...Oooh what a mouthful name and pronounced with such a flourish typically preceding or after one of his brilliant speeches that you would cherish them for a life time. So much so that you just wish you could exchange say a lifetime to just make one of those speeches before an, at the same time outraged and overawed, audience….including us actually, for the first time in our lives would have understood the meaning and definition of MONEY and see the very essence of our being translated into thoughts and then words and with such flair and finesse by this charismatic character ! 

Heady rush
Even as I am talking about all these books – I can sense the adrenalin levels rising and becoming capable right now of bursting the seams of all the hearts, minds and temples here with this excitement!
But I am going to rest my case with this quote from ‘The Dead Poets Society’ -

"We don't read and write because it's cute. We read and write because we are members of the human race filled with passion.
Medicine,Engineering, IT, Job are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But books, poetry, passion are what we stay alive for."

Carpe diem. Seize the day.
Carpe Libellus. Go Grab the Book.

No comments: