Saturday 30 June 2007

Becoming a Father....

Becoming a Father....hmm, I have a sense of Deja vu. Ofcourse this is our second kid, but I was not referring to that.


The feeling is more innate. It is very much the same as the one I have on the job.....on the critical 'Go-Live' stages of our Bank projects especially when we are faced with the final conversion. This last mile of the marathon brings out the best of all of our team members as we go through the throes of the birth of the new Banking system that would transform the Bank to 'Go-Live' on 'Production'. As one of our clients from the 'Ring of Fire' (read 'Indonesia') put it : 'Once you have gone through fire - you are ready to fight it for-ever'.


It is at this critical stage that I am generally rendered virtually helpless as I watch my technical colleague struggle with the code/tools to address the humongous un-foreseen/un-simulated problems that keep arising. During these long hours - the only solace I offer are really environmental like offering services for fetching some food/drinks......or with some wise anecdotes/banter which might cheer a toiling and wearied soul.....or put on a stupid smirk on my face which I hope would be seen as a sign of encouragement for them. It is at this stage that I begin to wonder about my luck for having found such a wonderful partner......and the realisation that nothing can really compensate this pain and efforts my partners endure....and it is at this stage I begin to wonder about my own position and about my near ineffective situation. Inability to contribute in such critical situations is I guess the worst part of life....it is not like you just jump in and 'deliver' the stuff.


The labor pains of this last stage of 'Go-Live' is essentially the critical aspect of the whole project and indeed is the culmination of the efforts till then.


Once the critical phase is over though - there are all round applauses and cheers. The night-outs that follow for the eventual nursing and teething issues are a cake walk compared to the fire that we had gone through.


With the Mission acomplished:   'We proudly look back at our accomplishments and live happily ever after..........'

No comments: